Birrus International Pty Ltd started in Melbourne as Rusden Birrel & Co. in 1948. For nearly 20 years the company imported goods from overseas and operated as a trading company. In the 1960s the company ventured into the field of industrial vacuum cleaning and pneumatic conveying. In 1980 when the trade name “Birrus” became well known in the aluminium and pneumatic conveying industry the company changed its name to Birrus Engineering Pty Ltd.
The company was re-structured in 2001 when the various activities of the former enterprise were split and the Pneumatic Conveying division became Birrus International Pty Ltd. To support its larger operations in the aluminium industry within Australia and worldwide the company entered into an exclusive agreement with REEL Alesa Ltd. of Zurich Switzerland. The agreement combines technology and worldwide resources of REEL Alesa with Birrus technology and local knowledge to provide customers in Australia and New Zealand with world class solutions to materials handling problems.